Monday, September 21, 2015

Back to school!

All three kids are in school this year! Wow! Sanaa began 2nd grade. Her teacher this year is Maestra Rosado. I've heard from other parents that Maestra Rosado is very good and a more motherly type teacher. I think that will be a nice fit for Sanaa.

Her first day back was September 8th (day after Labor Day). She's had a little bit of a hard time adjusting. She's cried a few times when I drop her off. It hasn't been every day that she's cried, but she does cling a little tight when I hug her and needs multiple hugs before heading into class. Layla, Malakai, and I continue to walk her to her room. I'm glad her school is okay with that. 

When I pick her up at the end of the day, she is full of energy and excited about different things that happened during the day, so I know she enjoyed parts of school.


Layla began kindergarten on September 10th. She only had a half day and was very upset that she was not going to be staying there for lunch. Her teacher Mrs. Muldoon is going to be great! When Layla found out she had Mrs. Muldoon for kindergarten she was very excited and said she had always wished to have her as a teacher.


I think I had a harder time dropping Layla off. She immediately started playing and when her friend Jake showed up.... well, the fact that I was still waiting for my goodbye hug didn't even matter. Layla is VERY excited about school. Last week was her first full week of school and she literally ran into the classroom every morning. I don't even get a hug from her because she's so excited to get into her class. I'll often get a, "Bye mom" over her shoulder as she heads in.

Since school has started, Layla will spend time during the afternoon or evening doing her "homework." She doesn't have any! Yet, she will sit at the art desk, look at the calendar she brought home and practice writing every number. I didn't think to get a picture of her finished "homework" but she wrote the 5 on the paper all by herself!

One of the her first days of school she came home with the picture below. Her friend Jake drew it for her. It's Jake, Layla, and a butterfly under a rainbow. Layla has informed she is going to marry Jake. Haha!

Malakai didn't start school until last week. He began preschool on September 17. On September 15 I took him to his class to meet his teacher. He and the kids in his class had an hour to play, meet the teacher, listen to book, and just get familiar with the room. Malakai already knew his teacher because he has the same preschool teacher as Layla, Mrs. Monnie.

While Malakai wasn't super excited about going to preschool to meet his teacher, he was very excited about his first actual day without me. It was a short day (only 1 1/2 hours) but he loved it. He went into his class and wouldn't give me a hug. He was too excited and ready to play. Meanwhile, all the other moms were getting nice big hugs from their kids. This week, Malakai starts he normal school schedule. He'll be at preschool two times a week for 2 1/2 hours. I can't wait for some me time!!!!!


1 comment:

C&G said...

We'll give you a big hug, Mom!