Friday, January 23, 2015

Produce delivered to our door

About 3 weeks ago we signed up to get a box of fruit and vegetables delivered straight to our door. I heard about this company from my cousin when we were all gathered at my parents house for the New Year's Day get together. Nate and I talked about it and decided to give it a try. So far we are loving it! Every Thursday we get a box of organic fruits and vegetables delivered right to our door. Whatever is in season is what is in our box. So far, we've gotten a lot of apples, oranges, and potatoes. But we've also gotten some items I've never prepared or cooked with before such as chard, leeks, rutabaga, beets (I've eaten beets but never cooked them), celeriac (celery root), and some type of squash. 

The kids love discovering what is in the box each week. I've also had to do a lot of searching for new recipes and what in the world to do with some of the items. I've been surprised that all of the kids will take a bite of whatever new recipe I make with the vegetables because they are so excited about seeing the different vegetables. They don't end up eating what I've made, but they at least try it. Which is awesome since they have become quite picky and getting a variety of vegetables in them is hard.

The very first box of produce we got. It had chard that I ended up sautéing with some onions and garlic. It was really quite good!

One of my new favorite recipes is a Mushroom and Leek pizza (that I found on Pinterest). I've made it twice this last week. My new challenge is to find a recipe that looks yummy that has celery root (pictured below). I also have some rutabaga, a purple cabbage, a squash, and some kale to figure out how to use this week. Nate and I are really enjoying this produce box since it's forcing us to each more vegetables. Hopefully, with time, the kids will start eating more of these new recipes I make too.

No comments: