Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year's Day

We are 12 days into January and I'm finally updating the blog. It's been a busy couple of weeks and I expect most of Spring to be that way.

On New Year's day we drove over to my parents house. It's an annual tradition for my dad's side of the family (his siblings and their children) to get together on New Year's day. It's been at my parents house the past couple of years because they are a good half way point between Portland and Salem (where the majority of the family lives) and they seem to have the most spacious house out of the extended family. So we spent the day with about 30 of my uncles, aunts, and cousins.

After everyone left, the kids found a bucket of nuts that one of my cousins brought for my dad. The kids really wanted to learn how to crack nuts, so grandpa showed them. All three of them insisted on attempting it themselves but it was too hard and grandpa helped each of them.



Even daddy got a lesson! Mixed nuts are one of Nate's favorite snacks but I learned that he's never used a nutcracker before. I have fun memories of sitting at the table as a child after dinner using the nutcracker and then passing the nuts over to my dad since I didn't actually like to eat them.




I didn't even think to get pictures while all the extended family was there but Sanaa, Layla, and Malakai had a great time playing. They spent nearly the entire day outside playing with some of my cousins' kids. One of my cousins has a daughter that is 12 or maybe a little older and she helped watch Malakai while he was outside. Malakai loved it and became fast friends with her. Malakai even gave her the sweetest hug when it was time for her to leave.

No comments: