Monday, January 12, 2015

How we spent the last few days of Christmas break

Christmas break went by rather fast. Which was good considering the kids spent most of those two weeks fighting. We had a few calm moments where they all got along. They spent the last couple of days creating art and craft projects and playing dress up. 

Sanaa made a cat toy with feathers, string, and some colored popsicle sticks. 

They also used their new large stamps. Malakai decided it would be more fun to cover his hands and face than actually use the large stamps on paper.


They've also done a lot of dressing up. My mom's co-worker had a girl pirate outfit that her daughter outgrew so she gave it to my mom to pass onto me. The kids love it. Yes, all of them! Surprisingly, they all did fairly well taking turns wearing the costume. Malakai does have his own dress up clothes, but he refuses to wear them. He has a Superman one that he'll wear but the others he just ignores. He would rather wear the girl pirate outfit, Rainbow Dash or Anna's dress than the stuff that he has.



Layla changes her outfits a lot. So you never know what she'll be dressed in when she comes out of her room. One minute she's a pirate and the next she's a princess with a bow and arrow hunting some dragons (a.k.a Sanaa and Malakai).

One evening I was trying to get the kids ready for bed. I had told Malakai to get off of Sanaa's bed and usually he listens and uses the ladder. But this time I heard Sanaa yell for me and when I got to her room I discovered that Malakai was indeed getting down off of her bed. He just wasn't using the ladder like I had expected him to. There is nothing that he can't climb it seems.

The Saturday before school started I made the kids some snowman pancakes. They often ask for Mickey mouse and Minnie mouse shaped, but since it was cold outside I thought a snowman shaped pancake would be fun instead.

The bedtime routine has changed a little bit for the kids. Since they got there bed lights, they love to look at books and read in the evening. So Nate and I have started praying with them and saying goodnight and then giving them 15 minutes or so to read books in bed. It has been great! It has cut down on the amount of times they come out of their room at night! We use to tuck them in and then one or both girls would come out 2-3 times for one reason or another. But now, they stay in their room. When we tell them turn off their reading light they listen and end up falling asleep fairly quick. There have even been a couple of nights that Malakai has wanted to read in his room. But I only give him about 5 minutes since he's usually quite tired by bedtime. One night he was almost asleep on top of his book when I came back in.

No comments: