Sunday, November 30, 2014

Halloween activities

Halloween was busy yet fun for us this year. The day before Halloween (the same day as Layla's school hoe down) we took the kids to the Children's Museum to trick or treat and play. All the kids went dressed up and the staff at the museum was also dressed up. The kids got to run around the museum and play while the staff walked around and handed out candy.


I know Sanaa loves most of the Children's Museum, but she is almost always drawn to the area where she can draw (or paint) her face. She's been asking me to buy face paint for the past few months ever since she got her face painted at my mom's work party. The face paint may show up in her Christmas stocking... we'll see. 

Currently, the Children's Museum has a Wizard of Oz area. It is great. I love it! And it's most likely because I've seen the movie numerous times while living in Kansas.







On Friday, Halloween, we spent the morning and early afternoon with the girls' good friends Marcus and Naomi. Layla and Naomi had a blast dressing up as Elsa and Anna from the movie Frozen. Layla will almost always choose to be Anna, while all her friends want to be Elsa.

After spending time with Marcus and Naomi we drove home, had a costume change and then headed to my parents house for dinner. My brother, sister-in-law, and niece met us there for dinner. Karen got  a few pictures of our kiddos all dressed and ready for trick or treating. After dinner, I took my kids to downtown Newberg to trick or treat along the Main Street stores. My brother and his family headed back to their town to trick or treat in their neighborhood.

The kids came away with a lot of candy! I sent at least half of it with Nate to work so he share it with his co-workers. As we drove home, Sanaa and Layla asked when we could trick or treat in our neighborhood. They've never asked to do that before, so maybe next year we'll end up doing that instead.

Malakai would not cooperate for pictures. Most of the time he is the first one to smile and pose but this time he was not going to listen. But I love the way that Layla posed with Ariana!


Finally, I thought I'd share some treats that we made during the week prior to Halloween.  We made ghost bananas and pumpkin oranges. The kids thought they were awesome and Malakai would walk around the house making ghost sounds. The ghosts were just bananas cut in half with chocolate chips (mini and regular size) for the eyes and mouth. The pumpkins were small oranges with celery for a stem.


No comments: