Sunday, October 26, 2014

A short stint caring for 5 kids

The last two weeks in August I cared for two extra kids. I met the family through our neighbor about a year ago when she was caring for the older sister (Cadence) and my girls became friends with Cadence. Both Sanaa and Cadence attended kindergarten at the same school although Sanaa was in the AM class and Cadence was in the PM class. So we didn't get to see her much during the school year. Her mom then found a new baby sitter and our neighbor found a new job. Then about 4 weeks before school started back up Cadence's baby sitter went into labor early and her mom was scrambling to find child care. So I offered to watch Cadence and her baby sister for the last two weeks of August before school started. Those two weeks taught me that I will never do child care in my home. I love kids and I love having play dates with my children's friend, but caring for 5 children that were ages 8 months to 7 years for 9 1/2 to 10 hours a day was not fun. I was exhausted by the end of the two weeks. The kids had fun and my kids are still asking when we'll get to have another baby of our own, but I don't have the stamina or patience to do child care long term from my house. 

I was afraid that Malakai would be jealous of the baby and the first day he was. But after that, all he wanted to do was help feed the baby and hold the baby and play with the baby. It was very cute to watch.





Since the weather was great, they spent most of their time playing outside. What they enjoyed the most was creating a small river in our back yard. They spent hours working on it together.



Sanaa also drew some chalk figures one day. The first drawing was a fairy and the second one was Ariel from The Little Mermaid.


During the two weeks it was a struggle to come up with different activities for them to do so they didn't get bored. With the baby taking 2 naps a day it was hard to even find the time to go to a park. Generally, Lily slept for 2 hours in the morning and woke up just before lunch. Then right after lunch Malakai would go down for his nap while Lily stayed up for a little while. About a half hour to an hour before Malakai woke up, Lily would then go down for her second nap and sleep another 2 hours. She would end up waking an hour or so before her mom came.

One activity that I did find was making foaming bubbles. You basically just use a hand mixer to whip together dish soap and water. The kids ended up using that soap foam to clean all the tables outside. It was great! It's not what I thought they would do, but my tables have never looked cleaner!



The last day that Lily and Cadence were with us, Sanaa and Layla were a little sad. They wanted Lily and Cadence to stay forever.


No comments: