Friday, October 17, 2014

A quick October update

I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted an update. I do have some posts saved as drafts that I need to finish.

The first update is that Sanaa is doing much better! This week was the first week that we had no tears at all when I dropped her off! Last Friday I took her to the doctor because she's complained of her stomach hurting for quite awhile now. She did have to have some blood drawn and that was a nightmare! I had to physically restrain her as she screamed at the top of her lungs. It took me and 3 nurses to hold her down just to get the blood drawn. Layla and Malakai were completely terrified and literally stood frozen with their backs against a wall. Before I had to help restrain her, she actually bolted down the hallway and two of the nurses and I had to corner her. From there I had to carry her back to the room as she flailed and kicked. It was easily the worst and hardest 15 minutes ever. She gets very worked up over shots and needles, so the majority of her response was just due to the idea of being poked by a needle. Once they started drawing the blood she stopped crying and just said, "Oh, that was it? That was just a little poke."

Oh. My. Goodness. Yes, it was just a little poke. Did we really need to go through the 15 minutes of screaming?

I hope that Layla and Malakai aren't completely scarred and terrified of needles after witnessing Sanaa's meltdown.

But, back to the doctor appointment. Our pediatrician put Sanaa on Prilosec. Since Sanaa had a history of reflux as a baby, the pediatrician figured we could give that a shot. Kids have a hard time describing exactly what hurts and since nothing else was physically wrong and there were no tender areas on her stomach treating her for reflux sounded good to me. She started the Prilosec last Friday. Saturday we were at my parents house. Normally when we drive home from Newberg after seeing my parents she begins complaining about her stomach hurting and needing to throw up. She then spends a long time in the bathroom once we're home. But this time she complained only a little bit and then went to bed pretty quick! She hasn't complained about her stomach hurting at all this week.

The result to her blood tests came back earlier this week and they were normal. So, it really appears that she was having trouble with reflux but didn't know how to adequately describe it. I am so happy and relieved that it wasn't something more. She takes her pill very well and has started to swallow the whole capsule instead of having me open it and sprinkling the medication on some applesauce.

The next update, is that our pastor is retiring. He last Sunday will be the first Sunday in November. That is leading to a lot of changes at church. For the month of November and December we won't have an interim pastor. So, Nate has been asked to preach some. Our worship pastor will be preaching and then the district superintendent will also be preaching to fill in until our interim pastor can start in January.

With our pastor retiring, we also ended up saying goodbye to our children's pastor. So, many of the parents have stepped in to help in the children's area until we have a new children's pastor. I haven't offered take on any new responsibilities but plan to continue coordinating our once a month moms play dates at church and I'm helping the kids practice for their Christmas musical. They practice during church and since I'm there and there isn't any prep work for me to do I'm quite happy to help in this way. Life is definitely busy around here, but at least everyone has been healthy. Hopefully we'll continue to stay healthy!

No comments: