Monday, September 29, 2014

Overwhelmed by small decisions


I took this picture last week on Sanaa's school picture day. She looks so grown up. However, shortly after I took this picture she started crying and clinging to me. It's a daily occurrence when I drop her off at school. She has always loved going to school, but we are in her third week of school and she still clings to me when I drop her off.

I've tried letting her walk to her class by herself (she asked to walk by herself), but she begins sobbing and one of the teacher aides ends up walking with her. Most of the time I sign in as a visitor and walk her to her room, but then at the door she clings and starts tearing up or crying. A majority of the time her teacher has to come over and hug her and walk her to her desk.

Little decisions such as which shoes to wear, which package of new underwear to pick, which pants to wear, which tv show to watch, whether to have me drive the old way or new way home, etc. are completely overwhelming her to the point of tears. This is not the daughter I've known for the past 6 years and I don't have a clue what is going on. Last week she had a full blown, lie on the floor, kick feet, and cry hysterically tantrum in a store over which package of new underwear to pick. It was unbelievable. It took her nearly 30 minutes to calm down. I've tried to talk to her about her days at school but she hasn't said anything that would help me understand this change in her.

I am at a complete loss. At the end of the day when I pick her up from school she talks excitedly about what she did, the new words she now understands, the new Spanish words she can say, and who she played with (and what inappropriate songs one of the boys in her class was singing!), so it appears that day goes fairly well for her.

We are getting her to bed between 7:15-7:30. Most nights she doesn't fall asleep until 8:15-8:30 and an early bedtime doesn't help her fall asleep sooner. She wakes up on her own between 6:30 and 7:00 and has a huge appetite. I feel like she's getting the rest she needs. Granted, she could probably use more sleep, but I can't force her to fall asleep. All I can do is get her in bed.

So what in the world is going on? Is this her way of reacting to the stress of being gone all day and at a new school? I really don't know what to do anymore. I continue to pray for her and I try my best to get her to talk, but I really don't know how to help her or what else to do at this point.

No comments: