Sunday, September 21, 2014

Lind family 2014 reunion

Two days after we returned from our California trip, my dad's side of the family had their reunion. The reunions are every 5 years since the family is so large. However, it was decided at this reunion to have our next reunion in 3 years instead of 5 years since so many of my dad's siblings are getting older and my cousins would like to see each other more often than every 5 years.

The reunion was a lot of fun. It was in Canby, OR at a retreat center and it was in a beautiful location. While the majority of the family stayed there for the 3 nights it was held, I decided to just drive back and forth for the two days that we could attend. Nate had to go back to work and it was just easier for us since we only have one car to sleep at home and then drive down to spend the day with family.

Layla and Malakai have never been to a Lind reunion since neither of them were born when the last one was held. Sanaa was only a year old at our last reunion, yet the kids acted as though they've been around my cousins all their life. Some of my cousins they were meeting for the first time but they just joined right in on doing puzzles and playing games.


Layla and Malakai enjoyed kicking the ball back and forth with my dad's sister Leona.

Behind the building where all the rooms were was a nice lawn with trees. What you can't see is that just past those trees was a river that the kids spent time playing in. We also had the chance to go tubing down the river and Sanaa and Layla loved that!

My dad playing soccer with many of the cousins, second cousins, uncles, and aunts. He was the goalie when I took this picture and I guess he was taking a short break.



Malakai walking with grandma to the cafeteria.

Malakai was so worn out that he fell asleep in my arms. I laid him on my parents bed and he did not move from this position. He slept for a good hour to hour and a half.

Layla playing in the river. There was also a swimming pool that I took the kids in as well. So we got to spend a lot of time playing in water.

Malakai and Ariana having a little snack. Malakai was the youngest family member present at this reunion and he was a given a book from aunt Annie. Annie had several small gifts for the youngest family member there, the old family member, the one who traveled the farthest, et.

Some of the family members tubing down the river. It was fun, unless you bumped a rock with your bottom and then that hurt.

Layla enjoying a ride with uncle Glenn.

There was also a fun park area with swings, a slide, a giant tire, and some other play equipment.

Sanaa working with some of the cousins on a puzzle. I was impressed with Sanaa's concentration and how long she worked on helping with the puzzle.

I think the kids' favorite part was making s'mores. It was the first time Sanaa and Layla got to roast marshmallows over a fire. We've made s'mores before, but it was over our stove since I'm not going to make a fire in our backyard. They each had more s'mores to each then they probably should have, but family reunions don't happen that often.



Sanaa with uncle Ken and aunt Mary Beth. Ken is one of my dad's brothers and Mary Beth is married to Lester, another brother of my dad's. (My dad has 6 brothers and 7 sisters).


I liked the meals we had, but our kids are going through a picky eating stage, so they didn't enjoy the meals as much. Luckily there was always at least one thing the kids would eat. All three kids thought the cups we got to use were really cool. I'm just glad they were plastic and not glass like I originally thought when I first saw them.




Group picture time. The first picture is my dad and his siblings. Only one sibling has passed away so far. One of my dad's sisters died not long after Nate and I were married. My dad is the youngest and there is a 20 year age difference between him and his oldest sibling.

The Lind siblings with all their spouses. My uncle Ken and aunt Annie are hold a picture of uncle Joe and aunt Helen (my dad's sister) who have passed away.

A picture of all the family; uncles, aunts, cousins, second cousins, etc who were there. I honestly don't know how many are in the family. I've lost count. It's a large family and Nate's comment about my large extended family is that it feels like a small church gathering. It's hard to comprehend that everyone is related.

No comments: