Sunday, June 22, 2014

Strawberry picking

The Monday before the end of school (which I think was June 9th), Lidia (Marcus and Naomi's mom) invited us to go strawberry picking after school. This was the first time I took the kids and wasn't sure how well they'd do. But overall they did great! I honestly thought Malakai would run off and I'd have to spend most of my time chasing him, but he stayed quite close. He did eat nearly his weight in strawberries and only stopped after he tried to eat a strawberry he had dropped in the dirt. I guess the flavor of a dirt covered strawberry wasn't too his liking. 


Malakai was quite interested in picking the strawberries, but after he'd get 3-5 strawberries in his container he would stop and eat them.



Sanaa didn't pick very many. She ate some (not nearly as many as Malakai) but mostly she ran up and down the strawberry rows with Marcus.


Layla actually picked the most out of all the kids. She did spend some time running up and down, but also was determined to fill her container.

We came home with about 6 1/2 pounds of strawberries. It was great! The only downside is that the kids ate 3/4 of the strawberries in about 2 days. I was able to freeze some that I plan to use for smoothies. At least they are picking healthy things to snack on. I have a hard time stopping them from snacking when they are choosing fruit to eat instead of crackers.

No comments: