Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Grandma Lind has a birthday

My mom also had a birthday this past weekend, so we've gotten to celebrate a couple of birthdays recently. I planned a party with my sister-in-law and dad. We invited all the uncles and aunts in the area and had dinner at our house together. Having 21 people in our house really shrunk the place, so I was pretty happy that the weather was decent and some of the uncles and aunts were able to sit outside to eat.

Once again, when I asked Sanaa and Layla what kind of cake to make, Sanaa didn't even have to think. She immediately said a garden cake. Layla agreed and added that it needed to have snap peas, carrots, corn, tomatoes, flowers, blueberries, strawberries, and cucumbers on it. I got most of those items on it, but not all.

Last summer when I made the birthday cake for Sanaa and Layla I came across something called modeling chocolate (chocolate chips melted and mixed with corn syrup). You can use it like fondant, except it tastes better. So I made all the vegetables and flowers out of modeling chocolate. I used white chocolate chips so that I could then divide it into several pieces and use food coloring to make the different colors I needed. Working with modeling chocolate and is like working with play-doh. When it is warmed up in your hands you can mold it however you want, but once it cools down, it hardens and keeps its shape.


Nate commented that this was the best cake I've ever made. My mom showed a picture of the cake to her co-workers and one of them told me I need to start my own business. I'm not sure I want to do that. Right now, making cakes is fun and I don't have a lot of time. I'm afraid that if I started that as a business I'd stop enjoying it as much. Plus, I really don't have the time to make cakes for other people!

On Monday my mom sent me a text with a picture of her office. Her boss and co-workers filled her office with balloons for her birthday. So after Sanaa got out of school we drove over to my mom's office and came home with two trash bags full of balloons. The kids have been loving it! Several have popped since they finally realized that you can't jump on a pile of balloons.


Sanaa and Layla have also drawn faces on quite a few of the balloons. Layla made a princess and Sanaa has done a variety. One of hers was sad because it had chicken pox (that one isn't pictured). The gold one she decorated at a prince for Malakai.

During the day, the balloons are typically all over the living room, but each evening the kids have been good about picking the balloons up and storing them in a container and an Ikea bag. The last thing I need to do is step on a balloon during the night and twist my ankle.

No comments: