Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Apple cider making

A month ago we made apple cider with my parents, brother, and sister-in-law. Nate wasn't able to be there since he had to work. I think we made 28 gallons. It was a lot of work since we had less people making it this year than last year, but the results are quite yummy! We came home with 12 gallons and I think we've gone through at least 3 gallons already.

My mom had donuts, coffee, and hot cocoa. The kids (including Malakai) ate the majority of the donuts. Malakai snuck a few donuts off the table when he thought no one was looking.

Layla with all the apples in the back of my dad's truck.

Cousin Ariana in her cute hat. She is growing up so fast! It's fun to watch her interact and play with Sanaa and Layla (and even Malakai).

Sanaa and Layla helped sort the apples. We had picked the apples two weeks before, so some of them were starting to rot.

Malakai was not going to be left out of sorting apples. He had to be in the back of the truck as well.

My brother working hard. The morning that we were to make apple cider, my dad plugged the cider press in and discovered the motor wouldn't run. So we had to hand crank all the apples, which led to even more work.

Layla and Ariana watching the apple cider flow out.

Ariana and Malakai have their own language. They were watching water drip off the table and were "talking" to each other. It was really cute.

My mom straining the cider and putting it into jugs.

Sanaa making sure uncle Ryan and is doing everything right.

Malakai did okay for most of the morning. But he refused to nap, so after lunch I ended up holding him most of the time. I had only brought my sling along which isn't the most ideal thing to hold Malakai in while I'm chopping apples but it worked.

And then once the apples were chopped I helped my dad press the apples. Malakai looked on from behind while eating an apple.

Sanaa and Layla both pretended to drive grandpa's tractor.


The apple cider we came home with.

I think the best part for Sanaa and Layla was tractor ride they got. They really enjoyed the ride and wanted a longer one!


No comments: