Sunday, June 23, 2013

Malakai's 1st birthday party

Last Sunday (June 16) we had a small birthday party with my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and niece. We also celebrated Father's Day at the same time so it was a combined celebration. For Malakai's birthday I made a beach ball cake. I had mentioned to Sanaa and Layla that I was going to made a ball cake for Malakai but wasn't sure what kind of ball. Sanaa suggested a beach ball so I went with that. Malakai enjoys throwing and tackling any type of ball right now which is why I had planned to make some type of ball cake to begin with.

After we sang Happy Birthday to Malakai we pretended to let him blow out the candle.

Big sister Layla had already blown out the candle while we were in the middle of singing, which upset Sanaa since I had told the girls they could blow out the candle together since Malakai was too little to actually blow it out.

But we got past that little bit of drama and moved onto the best part.... eating the cake. Malakai tested it at first not sure what to think of it.


Then he tasted a small bit....

After that small taste he loved it and devoured it. In fact he liked it so much that he screamed at me the next day (Monday) when I gave Sanaa and Layla some cake but not him.



I also attempted to make a pull-string piñata. Sanaa has been asking for a piñata for awhile and I'm not sure why. It was suppose to look like a beach ball but reminded me more of a hot air balloon. The idea behind it being a pull-string was that the bottom would open up when all the kids pulled on their string allowing the candy to fall out. Well.... instead of the bottom opening, the string my brother was holding on top came off when the kids pulled and it came crashing down. The candy still came out but not in the way I intended. Oh, well. It was my first attempt and I'm sure I'll get it figured out some day. I like the pull-string idea so you don't have little kids running around swing a bat or stick and potentially hitting someone in the head.

Malakai also received some fun gifts which he wasn't interested in at all. We all tried to help him get interested in the gifts and pulling out the tissue paper from the gift bags but he kept crawling off to explore. So, Sanaa and Layla opened his gifts for him.



With our cake we also got to enjoy some homemade ice cream. The girls enjoy eating the ice cream off of the mixer part. They were a sticky mess once they were done but I'm sure it'll be a memory they hold onto as they grow up.

Malakai was also quite the sticky mess after eating his cake. I was going to give him a bath but he discovered my parents water fountain and played and even drank from that. It was impossible to keep him away from the fountain. He loved it! I'm just glad my dad had cleaned it the day before.

This coming weekend we'll be having a big birthday party for Sanaa and Layla with their friends. Both girls are really looking forward to having their friends over to swim and play on the slip-n-slide.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

what fun!! I can't believe he is one already! He's so cute! :)