Saturday, June 1, 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday Layla!

Happy Birthday Layla! You were very excited that today was your birthday. When I told you that you turned 3 today you responded, "Three? I three now?" And then you walked around saying, "I three now!" We didn't have a birthday party today. That will happen at the end of the month when we have a big birthday party for you and Sanaa. You both want the same friends at your party, so instead of two parties with the same people we're holding one giant party. (I just hope there is room for everyone in our tiny house and backyard!)

Since daddy had to work today I tried to make your birthday a little special by taking you, Sanaa, and Malakai out for donuts and chocolate milk. We brought our items home to eat in the back yard at your new picnic table. You were very excited about me putting a candle on your donut and thought it was the best thing ever. 


You are such a fun little girl. I can't believe how much energy you have. You are constantly on the move dancing, searching for slugs and worms, running, climbing, jumping in puddles (when it rains), mixing up mud, and anything else you can think of. You don't like wearing shoes and are almost always barefoot. You can put your shoes on all by yourself and get them on the right feet about half of the time, but it can be a challenge just to get you to wear shoes.

It can also be a challenge to get you to keep your clothes on. Multiple times a day I look out in the backyard to find you without your pants or shorts. Today I told you that you could wear your swimming suit and play in the new sprinkler that grandpa Lind made but instead I discovered you in the backyard completely naked. You had decided to change outside instead of inside.

We are currently trying to potty train you. Some days are good and some days are not so good. Today was a great day. You had no accidents! Yay! The struggle I've had is that you understand that you don't pee in your underwear or pants so you remove your clothing and then pee on the floor. This has led to a great deal of frustration on my part. However, yesterday and today you have done a really great job at not peeing on the floor and using the toilet.

In the pictures below you had a worm that you were watching on the table. I've gotten so use to you carrying worms around that I don't think anything about it anymore. But today we were at a friends birthday party and there was worm in the grass. You picked up and one of other guests next to you said, "Eww. She picked up the worm." I responded, "Yep, she loves to carry worms around."


You enjoy pretending that you're at flute practice even though you're really playing around on a recorder. I've told you many times that the instrument you have is a recorder but you always respond, "No mommy. This is my flute." Maybe one day you will decide to play the flute and then we can play flute duets.

This afternoon you, Sanaa, and even Malakai played in the sprinkler that grandpa Lind made. You might notice that your hair is down in the picture. You really don't like to have anything in your hair. Some mornings you won't even let me brush your hair. If I do manage to get a pony tail or clip in your hair it only stays for a little while before you pull it out.



You and Sanaa are pretty good friends. You fight well and you know how to annoy Sanaa, but I can also tell that you love Sanaa a lot. You and Sanaa spend a lot of time playing together and come up with the most imaginative ideas. Our couch and living room is turned into a beach nearly every day by the two of you tossing all the pillows on the floor. You take turns playing mommy and baby with Sanaa. Sometimes Sanaa is the baby and sometimes you are the baby. You take trips to "Translvania" (aka Pennsylvania, but for some reason neither you or Sanaa can pronounce it correctly).

I also know that Sanaa loves you a lot too since this morning she made a special picture for you. She wrote your name and asked me to write the number 3. Sanaa is just learning how to write and she was able to spell your name all by herself. She also wrote her name and number 5 and told you that it was because you had turned 3 years old and she was going to turn 5.

We love you a lot and can't wait to see all the new things you learn this next year!

No comments: