Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Grandma Craul (1926-2013)

Yesterday my grandma (my mom's mom) passed away. It was sudden but expected. Grandma Craul's health had been deteriorating for the past few years. Just before this past Christmas, my grandma's hip broke and she fell. She had hip surgery and then went to a rehab center. We had some hope that my grandma would get better and return home in a month or so. But while at the rehab center her leg and hip just wouldn't heal.

A little over a week ago (Feb 8) my grandma was taken back to the hospital. She had an infection and other issues. She had a surgery on Saturday Feb 9 to remove fluid from her leg (I believe). After that surgery she had trouble breathing. On Monday Feb 11 she had a second surgery to remove the "hardware" that was holding her hip together. It was determined that the "hardware" was causing the infection (or at least not helping things). She came through the surgery on Monday better than expected and things were looking pretty good last week.

Then on Thursday (Feb 14) my grandma started to get worse again. My mom made the decision to fly out to Pennsylvania on Saturday (Feb 16). When she arrived my aunt Nancy took her immediately to the hospital because grandma had taken a turn for the worse. At that time they made the decision to remove grandma from all medication and just give her comfort care.

There wasn't much change in grandma's condition on Sunday and I guess I thought things were okay. But then on Monday (yesterday) I received the call that grandma had died. So while her death was expected it was also quite sudden.

I'm comforted by the fact that my mom made it back to Pennsylvania and was with my grandma when she passed. My mom, her two sister's (Brenda and Phyllis) and my aunt Nancy (married to my mom's brother) were all with my grandma singing hymns when she died. I almost can't think of a better way to go.

Grandma has been ready to go to heaven for awhile. As her health went downhill over these years she was unable to do things she enjoyed such as reading. I'm happy that grandma is in a place where she has no more pain, her eye sight is restored, she can walk, and she is praising God. I'm also glad that back in January I was able to iChat (FaceTime, Skype, whatever you want to call it) with her. She was able to meet my three kids via the computer.

On Thursday we'll be flying out for her funeral. It'll definitely be a hard weekend to get through but I'm thankful that I'll be able to attend her funeral.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Just now reading this Rosa - will be thinking of you all as you travel and say your goodbyes - it is never easy to let someone you love go - especially grandparents who hold a special place in you heart!! Hugs friend!