Thursday, December 20, 2012

Malakai - 6 months old

Half a year old. It feels like it was only yesterday that we were bringing Malakai home from the hospital. Soon I guess I'll be planning his first birthday. I nearly forgot to take his 6 month pictures today because we were so busy with Sanaa's Christmas party at school, Malakai's checkup, and running errands.

Here's the little guys stats:
weight - 15 lb 8.7 oz (17th percentile)
height - 25.98 inches (25th percentile)
head circumference - 16.93 inches (30th percentile)

This last month Malakai has decided that he doesn't like to nurse and would prefer that I just give him a bottle. I continue to nurse because he's my last baby and it's one of those things I'll miss later on. Sure, nursing can be a hassle at times but I'm not ready to give up. The doctor asked how his eating was so I told her that he doesn't like to nurse and prefers the bottle. She said it sounds like he's lazy and wants his food immediately which is why he gets so excited about the bottle. He has been eating some solids, although he's not very excited about any of it. Over the past few weeks he's tried banana, sweet potato, apple, pear, squash, and avocado. I totally skipped over feeding him the rice cereal or oatmeal because I never remember to buy any and mainly because I'm not sure if there is really any nutritional value. So far his favorite food is sweet potato mixed with apples. He's made a face with everything we've introduced and doesn't eat much but a couple of days ago I wanted to see what he would do if I mix two foods together. So far it's the only thing he's opened his mouth for and wanted more of. 


Malakai is a very smiley baby. He is so quick to smile at all of us. In the morning he is very excited to see his sisters and laughs and giggles at them. Both girls are good at getting him to giggle pretty hard.

Malakai still isn't the best sleeper. He typically wakes up 1-2 times a night. He does sleep a 6 to 7 hour stretch from 7pm-1am or 2am and then he's up every few hours after that. He goes to bed between 6:30pm and 7:00pm and is ready to be up for the day around 6:30am (or sometimes 6:45am). His naps are awful. Most mornings I can only get him to nap for 30 minutes. Usually the afternoons are better and he'll sleep for a good 2 hours but the last two days he's only taken a short 15 minute morning nap and then in the afternoon a 1 1/2 hour nap. It hasn't helped that this week Layla has refused to nap at all, so these two have completely worn me out this week. For Sanaa that means she gets more tv than normal because I need a break.

The girls get a huge kick out feeding Malakai. Layla is a little too helpful when it comes to feeding him and if I turn my back for a second she is picking up his spoon and shoving putting food in his mouth. She also likes to share her food and doesn't understand why he can't have spiral pasta, green beans, grapes, etc yet.

Malakai is so much fun to watch when he's playing. He "talks" to his toys and has a great time smiling at that other baby in the mirror. He rolls around trying to get to toys and other items on the floor. I've started explaining to the girls that they can no longer leave their toys on the floor and when they are finished playing they need to pick them up.

Just this week Malakai has started pulling his knees up under himself and I've caught him hanging out on his elbows and knees. He really looks like he wants to move somewhere and just can't get it figured out.

Bath time with Malakai is a race to see how much of him you can get washed before he latches on to you. He is so grabby that he swipes and grabs at anything that comes near him.

Below Malakai is trying to look innocent even though he was caught eating playing with Layla's shoe.


All three kiddos. Sanaa and Layla really wanted to join in on Malakai's little photo session today.

No comments: