Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Malakai - 5 months

Our little guy turned 5 months old today. He is a pretty happy baby. He has started teething and chews on anything he can get his hands on. This includes toys, blankets, stuffed animals, fingers, and toes. He swipes at anything within reach and will try to grab it.

He sleeps okay. Most days he takes at least one good nap in the afternoon. His morning nap tends to be short. He typically only takes 2 naps during the day but if his naps were short then sometimes he'll take a third nap around 4:30 or 5:00. At night he still wakes one or two times, which is quite tiring. One good thing is that I can lay Malakai down fully awake in his crib and he'll put himself to sleep. I've done this a number of times when I've needed to help the girls with something. I always intend to return and rock him but 70% of the time he's fallen asleep before I can get back to him.

Malakai is a fairly hungry boy and my milk supply can't keep up with him so at night before bed he now gets one bottle of formula and he'll drink anywhere between 4 and 6 ounces. We haven't been feeding him solids recently and that has a lot to do with me being lazy. I had hoped the solids would help him sleep better at night but it didn't. So I quit feeding him cereal and we started giving him a bottle of formula at night instead. I've tossed around the idea of starting solids back up again after Thanksgiving but the month of December is incredibly busy for us and I'm not sure I want to. So we'll see. I do have quite a bit of food made and frozen for him already.

Last week we were blessed to receive a good amount of formula from various people and I think we have enough to last us a good 6 months if not longer! I got three 8 ounce cans of powder formula from the pediatrician on Monday. On Wednesday one of the moms at MOPS asked if I used formula and I said I just started supplementing with formula. She handed me a bag with three 8 ounce cans of powder formula, one 12 ounce can of powder formula, 8 small single serving (4 ounces) packets of powder formula (great to throw in the diaper bag!), five 8 ounce liquid containers, and one 3 ounce liquid jar of formula. Then on Friday a package arrived from Nate's parents with five 22 ounce packages of powder formula. I nearly broke down crying on Friday when I realized how much free formula we had received. It was/is a huge blessing and while I really want to keep nursing as long as possible it is reassuring to know that we have a lot of formula on hand to feed our hungry, growing boy.

Malakai is doing some rolling. He doesn't roll to get to places but flops over when he feels like it. He's rolled from his back to tummy a few times (never when I'm watching) and frequently rolls from his tummy to back.

Here are some pictures from today.

I didn't have time to print out a paper that said 5 months on it so I scrounged around until I found some toys to use instead.


Wrestling with the bear.

"Hey. You lookin' at me?"

Malakai really enjoys hanging out with his sisters. I tend to have more pictures of Sanaa with Malakai than Layla with Malakai. Sanaa will sit next to Malakai and show him toys where as Layla will lay on him or make silly faces at him and then rush off.


No comments: