Sunday, October 28, 2012

Malakai begins eating solids

I honestly did not want to start Malakai on solids yet and that was purely out of selfish reasons because I didn't want to clean up after a third child. It's so much easier to just nurse Malakai and then go on about the day. The doctor also wasn't going to push introducing solids and even told me that once Malakai turned 6 months I still didn't have to start. As long as he was getting enough when I nursed him then it was fine to wait on introducing solids. 

Well, Malakai has other ideas about that. This week he has been extremely hungry. He's literally been nursing every 2 - 2 1/2 hours and waking at least 3 times during the night. I'm plumb worn out. He's also started biting me out of frustration when nursing so I can only assume he is not getting his fill.

This evening we visited my parents and I nursed Malakai while we were there. Roughly an hour after nursing Malakai we headed home and he cried the entire way (a good 30 minutes). I nursed him again after getting home and he was satisfied for about 5 minutes and then started gnawing at his hand. So I made him some oatmeal.

Below you'll see how his first feeding went. He inhaled the oatmeal. Hopefully he'll sleep better tonight.

His first bite.

"Ooo. Hurry mom!"

"Yum!"

"Maybe if I chomp down on the spoon I'll get more cereal."

"Here daddy. Let me guide your hand."

"I think there's a little bit on my hand I need to eat."

This isn't the best picture but I liked how he kept grabbing Nate's hand as Nate fed him.

I guess it's good that I've been slowing making baby food and storing it in the freezer. I wasn't planning on beginning solids this early and we'll probably just stick with oatmeal for a time. You'll notice the girls weren't in any pictures and that's because they were in bed when we fed Malakai for the first time. They'll have plenty of opportunity to help feed him in the months to come (and plenty of opportunity to fight over who gets to feed him!).

No comments: