Friday, September 7, 2012

A rough week with lighter moments

It has been a rough couple of weeks with Malakai. He has not been a very happy baby and I spend most of my day holding him and trying to either calm him down or get him to sleep. Taking him in the car doesn't help either because he will scream his head off for 15-20 minutes before calming down. So, I took him back to the doctor earlier this week and she increased the dosage on his reflux medication (he's 12 pounds 3 ounces now). She said to call back today (Friday) if there wasn't any improvement. 

Well, there hasn't been any improvement so I called and talked with the nurse. She's going to talk with our doctor to find out what the next step is and call me back. 

But we have had a few good moments with Malakai and when he is feeling good he will smile and coo. I just wish there more of those moments and less of the screaming at the top of his lungs. 

Layla and Sanaa have been able to provide some comic relief which I've needed. It's so stressful dealing with a fussy baby. I think I've handled his fussiness better than when the girls were colicky (at least some days) but I know the girls get tired of the crying as well.

Here is one story that got Nate and I laughing hard.

A couple of days ago Malakai woke up and I was going to feed him. Layla climbed up on the couch, pulled the boppy onto her lap, and said, "A too." (that means me too). She pointed at Malakai and said, "Baby, a too." 

I told Nate that Layla wanted to hold Malakai, which is what I thought she wanted. Nate laid Malakai on the boppy and Layla promptly lifted her shirt up and pulled Malakai's head up to her chest. I was wrong. She wanted to feed Malakai not hold him! After a few seconds Layla pushed Malakai away and let Nate pick him up. Nate and I just looked at each other and busted up laughing. Then Sanaa lifts up her shirt, looks at her chest and says, "Mine are getting big too!"

At least my girls are now prepared for motherhood and they both know exactly how to feed a baby. Below are some pictures of Layla taking care of her doll.




No comments: