Friday, August 17, 2012

Swimming and sleeping

Sanaa has done a full 180 in regards to swimming lessons. On Wednesday Nate took her and he reported that she whimpered a little at the beginning but was fine after that. She would even look over at Nate and tell him she was having fun. 

Today, she was just plain excited to be in the water. She was talking non-stop with her teacher, making funny faces at the lifeguard (and he made funny faces back), and was bouncing all over the place. The teacher took turns helping the kids out into the deeper water and Sanaa would bounce around and ask her teacher, "Can I go now? Can I have a turn?" Several times Sanaa would look over at me and Layla and wave. Sanaa even jumped into the pool at the end of her lesson. All the kids were given a chance to jump to their teacher and Sanaa wanted to jump more but the lesson was over for today. She still has two more weeks of swimming lessons so I'm glad she is finally enjoying it.

There was also a one point during the lesson that I heard Sanaa inform the teacher and lifeguard that her mom was afraid of spiders. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about. At the end of the lesson Sanaa told me that they pretended to be spiders and put their feet on the wall. That must have been when she informed everyone about my fear dislike of spiders. 

Here are the two pictures I was able to get today of Sanaa practicing swimming on her back. Layla was continually attempting to climb the fence so I couldn't take many pictures of Sanaa.


Sanaa showing Layla how to swim in our small kiddie pool.


On a different note, it's been a struggle to get Malakai to sleep for long periods. He sleeps great in the car but at home he won't lay down for long periods. I was hesitant to lay him down for naps on his tummy but yesterday I decided to give it a shot since he seemed to hate being laid down on his back. Yesterday he napped for a good 2 1/2 hours!

So today I tried laying him down for a nap on his tummy again and he went right to sleep! Amazing! He must like the pressure on his belly and I know he also likes being able to suck on his hand. 

At night I continue to lay him on his back. I'm way too nervous to let him sleep on his tummy at night. As it is, I constantly check on him while he's napping since he's on his tummy. We might just have a tummy sleeper, which is fine if it gets me a decent break during the day!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That's exactly what happened with Piper, too! I'm glad he's sleeping better now! Yay for tummy sleepers. :)