Monday, August 13, 2012

Sanaa's first swimming lessons

Sanaa had her very first swimming lessons this morning. She has been asking for a couple of months (since the end of school) to take swimming lessons. I debated about taking her and drug my feet. I didn't want to drag 3 kids to swimming lessons. Layla is constantly all over the place and never sits still. Malakai has been very fussy and I never know when he'll decide to have one of his screaming sessions. So signing Sanaa up for swimming lessons wasn't high on my priority list. But she kept asking, so this morning she had her first lesson.

It was bad. Really bad. I was the mom of THAT child who was crying and screaming at the top of her lungs during the swimming lessons. If I ever feel like I need to be humbled as a mom all I really need to do is take my kids out in public and they will humble me faster than you can blink an eye.

The 30 minute swimming lesson seemed to take forever as Sanaa cried and screamed and begged to get out of the pool. I didn't know what to do. I had Layla and Malakai and I was waiting with all the other parents on some bleachers behind a fence. I kept thinking that as she got use to the water she might calm down so I also didn't want to pull her out too soon. Plus I knew the teachers had dealt with difficult kids before and I wanted to let the teacher have a chance to calm Sanaa as well. Finally the end of the lessons arrived and Sanaa climbed out.

Sanaa really wants to go back on Wednesday and has told me repeatedly that she won't cry this time. She stated that she's big now and won't cry when in the pool. I don't want to go back, but I also think that maybe the first time was really scary for her and now that she knows what to expect she'll be okay. I tried to prepare her as best I could but talking about what to expect only does so much.

I guess we'll see how Wednesday goes and if she sticks with it maybe I'll get some pictures of her at her swimming lessons.

Later on today I get to take Malakai in for his 2 month check up and shots. Oh goodie, goodie. I can't wait to deal with another screaming child!!! (Yes, I'm being sarcastic!)

1 comment:

Mark and Cari said...

Calloway did the exact same thing the first time....stick with it, don't quit. Calloway cried every day the whole first two weeks, and then after that, she was much better!