Friday, July 20, 2012

Malakai - 1 month old

Today Malakai is 1 month old and growing fast. I did a mini photo shoot with him this afternoon and you may notice that his newborn onesie is starting to look a little snug on him. Several of his newborn onesie's are getting a tad tight at the bottom. I don't want him to outgrow his newborn clothes so fast! I was very surprised at how awake and alert he was when I took these pictures. He had been up for nearly 2 hours and I honestly thought he'd either cry the entire time or fall asleep. But he enjoyed himself and just kicked his feet as he looked around.

Overall, this has been a good month with Malakai. By this point both girls were starting to cry a lot and we had a hard time calming them down. Malakai definitely has his moments where he cries/screams but generally we can calm him down fairly quick. 

Last weekend was rough and he spent a good portion of it crying. I was starting to worry he was going to follow in sister's footsteps and spend hours crying. So Nate went to the store looking for mylicon (gas relief medicine) but instead came home with gripe water because he couldn't find any mylicon. We've used the gripe water all week with Malakai and when a drop of it touches his mouth he begins to calm down. It's amazing. Unlike the girls I can tell that the majority of Malakai's crying is due to tummy discomfort. He is gassy and poops a lot! (In a 2 1/2 day period we went through a 40 count package of diapers!). I'm actually looking at getting him into some cloth diapers asap so that we can stop spending so much on disposable diapers.

Some other little tidbits about Malakai are that he does not like to sleep in the bassinet. He stopped napping in it at the beginning of this week and we've been laying him down in his crib. At night he still sleeps in our pack-n-play next to me. Sometimes during the day he'll sleep without us swaddling him and is very comfortable that way but at night he prefers to be swaddled.

Nate has been able to feed him twice from a bottle and Malakai took to it with no problem. This will definitely make things easier when I begin practicing with the flute choir in September. Sanaa was okay with a bottle, but Layla refused the bottle completely. So it was a surprise that Malakai took to the bottle so fast.





Layla found me as I was taking Malakai's pictures and laid down next to him. She really loves her baby brother and is very attentive to him. Sanaa really likes Malakai too but is not as attentive as Layla. Sanaa has to be in a certain mood and will ask to hold or help change Malakai whereas Layla makes a beeline for Malakai the moment I put him down.


Snoozing in his crib.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love that last photo! He looks so comfy! :)