Friday, June 8, 2012

Dentist and doctor visits

So I was hoping I could give you an update about my latest doctor's visit but I won't be. For the second week in a row I've pulled into the parking lot only to receive a call from the receptionist asking me to reschedule because the doctor had to leave to deliver another baby. While I can't be upset with the other moms because no one can control when they go into labor it is a bit frustrating since I'm driving 20-25 minutes to get to my appointment. Plus, gas is expensive and I'd rather find out I need to reschedule before I actually leave my house.

So now my next appointment will be on Tuesday (12th).  It could very well be my final appointment (as long as I don't have to reschedule) since next Tuesday I'll be 8 days away from my scheduled c-section. At this point, I'd really prefer going into labor early so I don't have to go to any more doctor's appointments but I doubt that will happen. I'm just not that lucky.

Instead I guess I'll let you know how Sanaa's first dentist appointment went. It started out well. She was very talkative and was acting very brave. She sat in the big chair and let the dental hygienist put the bib thingy on her. But from that point on the visit went down hill and fast. The dental hygienist began to recline the chair and Sanaa freaked out! She cried and screamed and would not calm down. Everyone in the office heard her. After a few minutes she calmed down enough to let the dental hygienist look in her mouth and then the dentist came over to "count her teeth." Sanaa sat very still while the dentist looked in her mouth and the dentist told her she had 20 teeth and no cavities.

Then I talked with the dentist some while the dental hygienist got ready to "paint" Sanaa's teeth (put a fluoride treatment on). But suddenly Sanaa started crying again and screaming, "NO! I DON'T LIKE IT! I ONLY LIKE MY TOOTHPASTE." And that was the end of the visit. The dental hygienist was able to get 2 teeth covered, which is better than none.

Sanaa will get to see the dentist every 6 months and they will attempt to do as much as possible at each visit but won't force anything since they don't want to make visiting the dentist a scary thing.

Sanaa will freely admit that she was scared of the dentist and has informed me that she'll go back when she is older and not scared.

No comments: