Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Crib switch-a-roo

Yesterday was Layla's 2 year check up (more on that in another post). One of the things I came away with was that we really needed to think seriously about moving Layla out of her crib into a toddler bed. The main reason was for her safety but also because after Malakai is born I won't be able to lift her for awhile. So we could either move her immediately and get her adjusted to the idea of a new sleeping arrangement before Malakai arrives or we could wait and deal with a newborn and a toddler coming out of her room at the same time. Dealing with Layla now seemed liked the better idea. Neither Nate or I wanted to deal with Layla adjusting to a new bed while we were sleep deprived.

So yesterday since Layla decided she would not take a nap I took the opportunity to convert her crib into a toddler bed. Only one problem, the crib she had converted into a toddler bed that was really high and made me nervous. I couldn't have the mattress on the lowest spot and also have the crib brace thingy connected. There weren't enough holes. The mattress had to be set at the middle spot (and that's what the directions said). It made no sense to me but I set up that way.

This is Layla's old crib converted into a toddler bed. It is the same height as Sanaa's bed and Layla had a little difficulty climbing in it.


So I did a crib switch-a-roo. I knew the crib that was in Malakai's room worked really well as a toddler bed. It was what Sanaa had used. However, I didn't think switching the two cribs would be that difficult until I realized that I had to take both cribs apart in order switch them. Arg! So I removed 2 of the 4 sides from each crib and was able to fit them through the doorways.

As I was moving the cribs Sanaa began singing, "Our God is so Great. So strong and so mighty there's nothing our God cannot not do!" After she sang that she said, "Mom, you're strong like God." Wow! What a compliment. That made me smile since I was a tad grumpy from disassembling and reassembling 2 cribs.

Here is the final outcome. A much lower toddler bed for Layla that makes me a lot more comfortable.

Layla was very excited about her new bed.

Before bedtime, Layla insisted that Malakai's crib was finished. So with Nate's help we finished setting up the crib (I was honestly going to leave it alone since I was tired). Seeing Malakai's crib all set up suddenly made the fact that he'll be here soon very, very real. I still need a crib skirt and I do still need to clean out the girls toys but he does have a crib to sleep in now.

As for Layla's first night in her new bed, it went better than either Nate or I expected. I think that was partly due to the fact that she was very tired from missing her nap. She did have a bit of hard time going down and we think she may have been slightly scared of her new bed. But once she was asleep she didn't wake up until 6:30am, at which point she casually opened her door and walked out.

I guess we'll see how tonight goes. I don't think I'll have too much trouble with her, especially since she refused to nap for a second day in a row.

On a completely different note, Layla is able to climb into Malakai's crib on her own. Nate caught her jumping in it twice this morning. We're making Malakai's crib off limits since it's at the highest setting and she could easily fall out. She is such a little monkey!

No comments: