Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Our little escape artist

This evening I put the girls to bed like normal and came out to the kitchen to eat a quick bowl of cereal before I had to begin my 12 hour fast. (Tomorrow I go in to do the 3 hour glucose test and they want you to fast before that.) I heard Layla over the monitor calling me repeatedly, but that is a nightly occurrence so I didn't think anything of it.

I sat down on the couch to check email and eat my cereal. About 3 bites into my cereal I heard the door to the girls room open. My first thought was that Sanaa was coming out to go potty. I put my bowl of cereal and the computer down, turned to get up, and found Layla instead of Sanaa. She came running up to me saying, "Hi!!!! Nigh, nigh!"

What?!?!?! How in the heck did Layla get out? She had managed to take off her sleeper blanket, crawl out of her crib (without falling and getting hurt), and opened her door.

Layla has never climbed out of her crib. She has also never managed to open a door. Until tonight....

I was shocked. So what did I do? I sat her on the couch next me, gave her my phone to play a game on, and finished my cereal as I waited to for Nate to come home. I didn't want my cereal to get soggy.

Bedtime from here on out just got a lot more challenging. Now we're not sure whether we need to convert Layla's crib into a toddler bed or just keep her in the crib. For her safety it would probably be best if we put her in a toddler bed, but she'll just want to play with Sanaa and crawl in Sanaa's bed if we do that. I guess we'll see how the next few nights go.

***An update... as I was typing this, Layla came out of her room a second time.***

No comments: