Friday, October 21, 2011

Flutes and sheep

What do flutes and sheep have in common?

Technically nothing unless you're leaving for flute practice but can't get out of the driveway because the neighbor has his sheep penned up in the middle of the driveway so that he can catch two of the lambs.

Has this happened to anyone else besides me? I did call the director of the flute ensemble and left her a message letting her know I was going to be late because of the sheep in the driveway. I'm sure that was an interesting voicemail to hear! If only I had been more creative when I was younger. This would have been an awesome excuse to use when late somewhere!

You're probably wondering what the rest of the story is. Last week I was headed to flute practice but couldn't get out of the driveway. My parents share part of their driveway with their neighbor. When you first turn in you're on the shared portion. If you turn right you head to the neighbors house and turning left leads you to my parents house. 

I pulled up to the closed gate and saw a bunch of sheep, one llama, and the neighbor. The neighbor (who is also the veterinarian in my parents town) walked up and asked if I needed to leave right then or if I could wait. I told him I had flute practice in another town (which is a good 45 minutes away) and he said, "Oh. Umm.. I need to catch two lambs for a guy that is coming soon. My family should be here soon to help." 

I asked if my dad could possibly help him and he said yes, so I walked back up to my parents house and got my dad. 

(In the picture below, I'm standing at my parents house looking down at the driveway. The red lines are where the sheep were penned in.)
My dad came out to help and the neighbor caught one lamb and tied him to the fence. The neighbor attempted to catch a second but sheep and lambs can be quick. They are dumb (several tried jumping into the gate to escape) but quick. The neighbor barely missed catching the second lamb and turned around to discover that the first lamb had somehow wiggled out of the knot and was now running freely again. That didn't make the neighbor happy.

A couple more attempts to catch the silly lambs happened and finally the neighbor cornered several sheep and lambs and was able to grab ahold of two at the same time. Amazing! He tied one to the fence while my dad got the rope off the fence from the first escapee. The neighbor tied both lambs to the fence and then discovered that both were females. He was trying to catch a male and female. Oops.

So at this point the neighbor says, "Well, let's try and get you through and we'll open one gate at a time."

He opened the first gate. I drove slowly through.

Have I mentioned that sheep are dumb? Instead of moving away from the van they walked right up to sniff the front. Really?

The first gate was closed and the second gate was opened. I drove through that one and stopped. There was a llama in my way.

The neighbor says, "Don't worry about hitting the llama. He'll move."

Ummm..... the llama's fur is touching the front of my van. He's not moving!!!!

Finally the llama moves and I inch forward. The second gate is closed and the third gate is opened. I'm finally free! (The third gate was closed because the field was wide open and this kept the other llama and sheep from roaming away down the driveway.)

Each time the gates were opened, none of the sheep attempted to escape through the opening. Those critters are dumb. But I did make it to flute practice and I was only 10 minutes late.

In case you're wondering, I have started playing with the Rose City Flute Choir. I've only had three practices with them but am loving it! At the last practice I counted 25 of us playing. So cool. And I saw my first contra-flute in person. That flute was taller than some of the gals playing it! If you want to come out to Oregon the first Saturday in December you'd have the opportunity to hear us play!

1 comment:

Mark and Cari said...

Oh Rosa! I sit here dying of laughter at this sheep story and can truly picture everything that happened. Oh and the Llama....now that was hilarious. I am glad you were able to look at the situation with a sense of humor!