Thursday, July 28, 2011

Moving westward

Yep. The rumors are true. We're moving. Nate has accepted a transfer to a store in Portland, Oregon. We are really excited but also a little sad. We'll be moving away from Nate's parents and a lot of good friends, but we'll moving a lot closer to my family (my parents, brother, sister-in-law, aunts, uncles, and cousins). I have a lot of family in Portland and Salem. My dad grew up Salem and I was born in Salem. Granted I've spent most of my life away from Oregon but I do love the state and am really looking forward to living there.

Nate leaves next week (Aug 3) and will drive out to Oregon with a co-worker who just wants to go along for the ride. How awesome is that? We had been praying for a driving partner for Nate and one of his friends at work jumped at the chance. What an awesome answer to prayer! Nate begins working at the store in Portland on Aug 8.

The girls and I will stay behind until the end of Aug/beginning of Sept to continue packing the house. We're praying that the house sells fast. I would love for our house to sell before the girls and I leave for Oregon, but we'll see. God can do anything!

Yesterday we met with our realtor and signed some papers to begin the process of selling our house. It'll go up on the market next week. I still have quite a bit of painting and packing up to do before the house is the ready for potential buyers to come through. I have gotten a lot done over the last week and a half, but there's still a lot to be done. I should be working right now but I really needed this brief break.

The girls (at least Sanaa) is very excited about this move and will ask every day if we are leaving for our trip. The fact that I've been packing up her toys and other items around the house has only made her more excited. She'll even "help" me by throwing whatever she can find into a box. 

Layla isn't nearly as helpful but she is cute. Instead of packing, Layla prefers to rummage through the boxes to see what treasures she can find. I've discovered the best way to pack with her is to have an idea of what I want in a box and quickly pack and tape it shut.

Nate's car no longer has a spot in the garage. It's slowing being filled with boxes and book shelves.

Last week we had to flooring installed in our living room (finally!) and we had the kitchen counters replaced. Here's a before shot of the kitchen counters and then a close up of the sink area with new counters.

I'm really loving these counters and wish we had done this sooner! The sink is also a lot deeper which is awesome for washing dishes! Once I get the all the junk cleared off the rest of the counters I'll take a better kitchen picture so you can see the entire counter space.
The other thing I've been doing is painting Nate's study. You saw some of those pictures in the previous post. The walls are finished, but now I'm working on trim. The trim was in bad need of a fresh coat of paint. The problem I've just discovered is that if I paint all the trim (like I have been) I'll need to paint the doors as well. Ugh. Guess I know what I'll be doing these next couple of nights. I also need to paint our banister since the paint has started peeling off and finish clearing out our rooms upstairs.

So much to do and so little time.... Guess I better get back to work. I'll keep you all updated as best I can on the sale of our house and our move to Oregon!

2 comments:

Mark and Cari said...

What about a playdate/get together next Friday? We are so going to miss you guys! Luckily we can keep in touch through our blogs!

Jamie said...

So happy for you guys - I know this is something you'be been hoping for for awhile!!! I'll be saying some prayers for you about your house selling - you are right, GOD can do anything! Keep up the good work - you are AMAZING doing all that painting and taking care of the girls too! :-)