Friday, June 17, 2011

Perspective

This has been a loooong week (I honestly thought today was Saturday and was disappointed to discover that it's only Friday). Although the class I've been teaching has gone really well, the girls have been a handful. Layla has been waking up every morning around 5:40-5:45am. She has not been taking very good naps. She cried for 2 hours today before finally falling asleep for a nap. She was a grump Monday and Tuesday, which was most likely due to her shots. Sanaa won't nap at all and of course is grumpy by dinner time.

But even though both of them have to be exhausted, putting them to bed at night has been hard. They get some kind of second wind and are playing, talking, and goofing off. In fact, right now, it's almost 7:45pm and Layla has been crying for a good 25 minutes while Sanaa runs around the room laughing. It is so frustrating and extremely irritating. I'm just thankful that Nate is home tonight to help out.

I could go on and on with my list of complaints, but this afternoon Nate's mom called and suddenly this bad week was put into perspective. Nate's grandma (his dad's mom), Maxine, has taken a turn for the worse. She has round the clock hospice care, is now on morphine for pain, and is sleeping most of the day. She's also not eating much (if at all). It's been sad to hear the reports of her going down hill so fast. We're not sure how much longer she has.

For quite awhile none of us were sure whether or not she had accepted Jesus as her Savior. As she's gotten sicker she began asking for people to pray for her and read her Scripture. On Wednesday Carol's parents (they live close to Gene's parents) went and visited Maxine. Carol's dad asked her if there was a time in her life that she remembers asking Jesus into her heart and she replied yes. That was definitely encouraging and we do truly hope that she is saved.

So, yes. I've had a bad week, I'm still quite grumpy, my girls are going to continue to be obnoxious, but that shouldn't matter anymore. The class I've been teaching (along with the things that have been going on with Nate's grandma) have started to help me take my focus off myself and think about my girls and others who need to hear about what Jesus did for them and why He did it. My perspective is changing.

No comments: